Consumerium development wiki turns 20
So, the Consumerium development wiki turns 20 on Friday 2023-02-24 Fri Feb 24 2023 00:52:00 GMT +0000.[misc 1] and the motivation for Consumerium remains the same.
Many of the planned features have already been implemented as services by both profit-maximizing and non-profit-seeking entities during these past 20 years.
PLANNING for the future
- Knowledge graphs consisting of linked data are a complicated field, but necessary for realizing the Consumerium goals
- mw:Extension:Cargo is probably better for this use case than mw:Extension:Wikibase
- The test wiki could be reinstalled clean to the latest LTS 1.39 and Cargo installed on it. Or many test wikis could be set up
- kuluttajistow:Etusivu - a distinct Finnish language wiki at the domain Kuluttajisto.fi
- w:Solid (web decentralization project) seems very aligned in what it is trying to do and will probably succeed. Give the ownership of the data to the people and make the corporations play nice that way.
Needs freshening up
- The features should be updated to as of now and to include what existing services implement some feature, or even better, what friendly data source provides the data with a licensing setup that we can work with.
- The MediaWiki/extensions was an attempt at going through all the extensions and scribing up the potential ones. I did this in 2012, so 10 yrs ago and revisiting these extensions would be useful and educating
THE CURRENT STATE
Uncontested facts: Today is Sunday 28 May 2023 and it is week #21.
The wiki has 4,270 pages out of which 1,172 are articles with 50,917 edits, but would be structured differently if all the technological means and savoir faire of now would have been available when we started out with a handful of friends.
There are 36 uploaded files but through mw:Manual:$wgUseInstantCommons many more pictures are available to be used.
There are 68,093 registered users, which is bit of a problem, because over 64k of those are bot registered accounts from back in the day
There are 4 admins. You know who you are.
Today the wiki is running on mw:MediaWiki 1.39.3 (8e86232) that should be upgraded to the latest LTS 1.39.
The top 20 articles in the main namespace measured by the number of visits for the year 2022 have been the following:
- Lists of review aggregators and review sites
- Unequal power relationship
- Main Page
- Individual bias
- Lists of price comparison services
- Lists of alternative financial services
- Consumer terminal
- Political dispute
- Subject-object problem
- Ontological warfare
- Price premium
- Contested term
- Lists of shared and alternative transport and traveler routers
- Systematic bias
- Ecological lens
- Develop Wiki
- Knowledge graphs
- Intrawiki link
“It is perfectly true, as the philosophers say, that life must be understood backwards. But they forget the other proposition, that it must be lived forwards.”
See Timeline of Consumerium for info on what has happened during these years that has been significant for the development effort.
Goals and means of Consumerium is the oldest mission statement document of the Consumerium.org effort from ca. 2001-2002.
User:Jukeboksi/log/All Consumerium logs in one may also be useful viewing, at least for me, the Lowest Troll
Thank yous[edit | edit source]
Thank yous for tech
.. but it has always helped w:Linux to be.
Relying on MediaWiki to work towards the Consumerium goals since 2003.
Consumerium has been relying on copyleft w:Debian GNU/Linux Stable-branch servers since Debian Squeeze.
w:Apache HTTP Server has served Consumerium well for over 15 yrs. Consumium free social runs w:Nginx a very nice copyleft web server.
Choice of RDBMS is w:MariaDB, a fork back by the original people behind MySQL.
Matomo - Matomo.org is a free and open source w:web analytics application originating from w:New Zealand
Ubuntu Studio (.org) is a versatile Linux distribution aimed at the audio and video producing users and serves as Juho's everyday OS
References[edit | edit source]
Miscellanies[edit | edit source]
- ↑ UNIX timestamp for 20 yrs party is 1677199920