Open Food Facts
Open Food Facts (.org) is a crowdsourced non-profit open database, web app and mobile apps of food products initiated in 2012 by French programmer Stéphane Gigandet. It is limited to foodstuffs only by the contract, others will be removed and clearly seeks not to be political.
The database is copylefted under w:Open Database License, database entries under Database Contents License and the uploaded photos under CC-BY-3.0 Creative Commons so the database and the photos can be reused in other services so it would seem a good place to contribute as open data is available in various formats.
Information verification is based on photos of the labeling on the package. Adding information not featured on the label seems to be forbidden, probably to avoid legal problems arising.
Sites by OFF
- Official website
- Open Food Facts English wiki
- Open Food Facts on GitHub.com
- Translation platform for OFF powered by Crowdin.com localization platform
- Open Food Facts datasets at datahub.io
Interesting wiki articles
Sites reusing OFF data set
- 'Produits alimentaires : ingrédients, nutrition, labels' at data.gouv.fr offers downloads of the data set in CSV, RDF and JSON formats and lists a plethora of services that are reusing OFF data sets (in French)
- CIQUAL - French Food Composition Table by the w:Agence nationale de sécurité sanitaire de l'alimentation, de l'environnement et du travail (Anses) in French and English
- Combien de sucres (.fr) - a game to guess how many sugar cubes are in a food product (in French)
- C'est emballé près de chez vous (.fr) - a map interface to manufacturing / packaging locations (in French)
- Informations Nutritionelles (.fr) - detailed information about nutrition values in products and product groups (in French)
Spinoffs / expansions of scope