What you type is not what they see
It is possible to make link texts differ from the name of the target using the "pipe" (unix) symbol which is "|" like this:
- [[XML|eXtendable Markup Language]], which would be presented like this eXtendable Markup Language
- Remember [[reality first|what ever you want people to see second]] if you have trouble remembering which way it is.
This is called anchor text and is usually best avoided, as it does not reinforce the name of the page in the end user's mind.
There exists a number of namespaces in the consumerium wiki space these are
- "Special" this is used for machine generated pages, accessible through the "special pages" drop down list on the top of the page
- "Talk" this is where you go, when you click on the "Discuss this page"-link on an ordinary page
- "User" you can have a page of your own in this space if you register following the "Log In"-link on the upper right hand corner
- "User_talk" for discussions with registered users ("Discuss this page"-link on User pages)
- "Consumerium", is the rough equivalent of the Wikipedia-namespace on Wikipedia.
- "Consumerium_talk" is for Discussing the Consudev: pages
- "Image" image uploading is disabled for now, sorry
- "Image_talk" image uploading is disabled for now, sorry
You can use "the pipe trick" to hide the namespace without typing in alternative text like this
- [[wiktionary:Product|]] (notice the "pipe" symbol) is presented like this Product
- [[Consumerium:Village pump|]] is presented like this Village pump
is used to link to other wiki's namespaces without writing the fully qualified URL. This makes collaboration between wikis much simpler.
- To link to http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia use w:Wikipedia
- To link to http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia use m:Wikipedia
- To link to http://wiktionary.org/wiki/Consumer use wiktionary:Consumer
The following are the non-standard wiki URIs which are the unwise defaults:
http://www.consumerium.org/wiki/wiki.phtml?title=Wiki_linking (as before) http://www.consumerium.org/wiki/index.php?title=Wiki_linking (notice the change from wiki.phtml to index.php http://www.consumerium.org/wiki/index.php/Wiki_linking (new ease of use without mod_rewrite
The standard wiki URI as used at Wikipedia would be http://en.consumerium.org/wiki/Wiki_linking - the /wiki/ subspace indicating articles amenable to wiki based editing. There may be other spaces for /print/ or a non-wiki /edit/.
REPLACE INTO interwiki (iw_prefix,iw_url,iw_local) VALUES ('w','http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1',1), ('m','http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/$1',1), ('meta','http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/$1',1), ('simple','http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/$1',1), ('Wiktionary','http://wiktionary.org/wiki/$1',0), ('WikiBooks','http://wikibooks.org/wiki/$1',0);
Linking to other language Wikipedias
Linking to URLs that use apostrophes (')
Directly writing the apostrophe to the url does not work and the apostrophe (') should be replaced by "%27" instead of the apostrophe, in the URL. Ugly but it works.