From Consumerium R&D Wiki
Examples of group vandalism include:
- spam - where the group is an interest group promoting some commercial interest, and the vandalism is the adding of external links to pages to boost their google rank etc.
- vandalbot attacks - the group may consist of only one active person with others applying technological escalation in the background to create and distribute the technologies - which they deny intending to use to vandalize any one group - see Recyclopedia for the best known example of this.
- troll vandalism - a faction sharing some New Troll point of view temporarily cooperates to vandalize pages, e.g. SOLLOG's assault on Wikipedia wiki bio pages of Jim Wales and others
- sysop vandalism - the group is the sysop power structure - see Wikimedia and GodKing and undelete page for issues
- funded trolls may also selectively employ vandalism but there are no known cases of this except perhaps the troll war that raged in October 2004 in Wikipedia's wiki bio pages of John F. Kerry and George W. Bush. It is not clear that the smear campaigns were each funded by the other side, but they were certainly stirred up by negative campaign ads that gave the information that the trolls used.